Developed by Jazz at Lincoln Center
WeBop is an early-childhood jazz education program for children three to five years old that invites families to stomp, strut, and swing to the joyous rhythms of jazz as they learn about the core concepts, instruments, and great performers of jazz. These 45-minute classes are structured to engage both the child and caregiver, with participation required from both. Families can sign up more than one child, but there must be an adult with each child. Each term is 8 weeks, with two band weeks at week 4 and week 8.
Centene Jazz Education Center
at the Steward Center for Jazz
3536 Washington Avenue
Cost: $275 per child
- Instill a love of jazz, love of self
- Introduce families to jazz in a musically authentic way
- Awaken and enhance skills in listening, creativity, and imagination
- Give young people a supportive and challenging jazz environment in which to thrive.
- Teach to multiple active modes of understanding
- Create an inviting, responsive, and inclusive atmosphere
- Encourage adults to use music as a parenting tool to not only educate their child, but also to encourage their development, self-expression, and individuality
- Create awareness about how children learn and respond to their environment
- Students progress throughout the terms and age groups, constantly building on what they have learned