Jazz St. Louis Residency Series, featuring The Bad PlusSeptember 30 through October 3, 2013
Jazz St. Louis is proud to present a unique residency with one of the most dynamic and creative groups in jazz. The Bad Plus will be participating in open discussions, presentations, and performances during the week of September 30. The Residency gives a unique opportunity to interact with and hear from a group on the forefront of improvised music. The week concludes with a free community performance of On Sacred Ground: Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, arranged and performed by The Bad Plus.
***All events are free and open to the public, but seating is limited and on a first-come, first served basis.
For information on the events, call the Jazz St. Louis Box Office at 314.289.4030.
Re-Imagining Stravinsky with The Bad PlusTavern of Fine Arts Monday, September 30, 12-1 pm 313 Belt Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63112 Parking available in the lot across the street or on the street
- Join The Bad Plus’s Ethan Iverson (piano), Dave King (drums), and Reid Anderson (bass) for a lunchtime conversation/demonstration discussing their “re-imagination” of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring. The Tavern of Fine Arts will be offering a lunch menu during the event.
Bridging the Divide: Where Jazz Meets Classical, featuring The Bad Plus
presented in partnership with the Washington University Jazz Studies ProgramTuesday, October 1, 11 am – 12 pm Ballroom of 560 Music Center 560 Trinity Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63130 Parking available on the street
- Well known for their original compositions as well as unique takes on various pop covers, The Bad Plus’s repertoire contains many works by such composers as Babbitt, Ligeti, and Stravinsky. Join The famed trio’s Reid Anderson (bass), Ethan Iverson (piano), and Dave King (drums) as they discuss and demonstrate their approach to integrating two musical art forms often seen as being on the opposite of the spectrum.
Inside the Creative Process: the compositions of The Bad PlusWebster University, Community Music School Building, Room #11 (basement of main CMS building) Tuesday, October 1, 3-4:30 pm 535 Garden Avenue, Webster Groves, MO 63119 Parking available in the public garage on Garden Avenue across from the Community Music School
- It is not often that outsiders are invited into the composition process of one of the world’s premier jazz trios. Join Ethan Iverson (piano), Dave King (drums), and Reid Anderson (bass) as they shed light on their music, concept, and compositions of The Bad Plus, one of the most creative and original groups on today’s jazz scene.
New Directions in Improvised and Creative Music
The Future of Jazz: A Conversation Led by The Bad PlusBlank Space (Ages 18+ ONLY) Tuesday, October 1, 7:30-9 pm 2847 Cherokee Street, St. Louis, MO 63118 Parking available on the street
- Join The Bad Plus’s Ethan Iverson (piano), Dave King (drums), and Reid Anderson (bass) in a public conversation on the direction of jazz, improvised, and creative music. Blank Space is an “open creative space” in the unique Cherokee neighborhood that provides an intimate forum to explore this topic.
Stravinsky: Real and Imagined
featuring On Sacred Ground: Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring arranged and performed by The Bad Pluspresented by Jazz St. Louis and STL Symphony Community Partnerships October 3, 2013
at the Skip Viragh Center for the Arts on the campus of Chaminade College Preparatory School
425 South Lindbergh Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63131
- Take a guided tour through the evolution of Igor Stravinsky’s music with chamber pieces performed by musicians of the St. Louis Symphony followed by a performance of On Sacred Ground, The Bad Plus’s ferocious re-scoring of Stravinsky’s iconic work, The Rite of Spring. More info here.