The Controller and Director of Administration oversees all aspects of accounting, financial reporting and related business responsibilities for a not-for-profit jazz presenting and education organization with a $1.8 million annual operating budget. Reporting to the Executive Director, this role:
- Assures the organizations financial and technical application and management systems support the mission and vision.
- Defines the process of and implements the infrastructure/systems needed to support future growth.
- Builds and manages effective administrative/financial systems including accounting, legal, IT, risk management, and physical infrastructure.
- Works closely with all other departments on financial matters.
- Supervises one full-time staff member.
Budgeting and Planning
- Contributes to the development of the strategic plan.
- Leads development of the fiscal strategy and operational plans to achieve the strategic plan.
- Leads the annual budgeting process.
- Prepares the annual budget with senior staff participation.
- Prepares financial projections.
- Maintains appropriate cost allocation.
- Tracks income and expenses against approved budget.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Analyzes and presents monthly and annual financial reports to the ED and the Finance Committee.
- Prepares internal and external reports as needed.
- Recommends changes to accounting policies and procedures, reviews with ED and Finance Committee and implement accordingly.
- Serves as liaison to accounting firm.
- Advises the ED and the Finance Committee on critical financial matters including financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities and policy.
- Manages annual audit.
Grants & Contract Management
- Ensures financial compliance is maintained for grantor funds.
- Manages program allocation of income and expenses.
- Manages for cost control contractual relationships (benefits, insurance, audits, utilities, etc).
- Monitors expenses and request for reimbursement from federal and other funders.
- Prepare grant financial reports for federal and other funders.
- Manages payroll, personnel handbook, and benefits.
- Completes annual compliance requirements for benefits.
- Oversees the development, documentation, and communication of policies and procedures for all areas of operations.
- Responsible for equipment leases. Assess and develop plans to meet IT needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelors in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration; CPA preferred.
- 5+ years of accounting experience demonstrating financial and accounting management experience with the day to day operations of a business unit.
- 3 Years experience in a supervisory role.
- Have experience with other administrative functions of non-profit operations including HR, IT, and facilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate and manage at all levels. Ability to operate at a tactical level while demonstrating strategic thinking skills.
- Strong financial analysis and problem solving skills; ability to make accurate and timely decisions.
- Strong sense of urgency, results oriented.
- Intermediate to advances skills with Microsoft Excel and Word and accounting software such as QuickBooks, Peachtree or Microsoft Great Plains.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary history to:
Electronic submissions are preferred and will be accepted (PDF format only) by email to:
Applications may also be sent to:
Controller/Director of Administration Search
Jazz St. Louis
3547 Olive St.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Deadline: Applications will be accepted through August 9, 2013. Later applications may be accepted if the position has not been filled.